Our Services.

Pet Travel Certificates

Travelling with your pet to the EU

Since Brexit, travelling abroad with your pets has become more complicated, so we recommend planning in advance to avoid any issues as it now requires more documentation. An Animal Health Certificate is needed for dogs, cats or ferrets travelling to Europe from the UK.

*Please note* Pet Passports which were previously issued in the UK are no longer valid for travel into Europe. British vets are also no longer able to certify rabies boosters within EU passports of any nationality.

To qualify for an Animal Health Certificate your pet must have the following:

  • A microchip inserted at or before the date of its rabies vaccination
  • A rabies vaccination given at least 21 days before the date of travel
  • Tapeworm treatment is also needed if you are travelling directly to Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Finland or Malta

An Animal Health Certificate is valid for:

  • 1 entry to Europe within 10 days of the date it is issued – this means that you need a new Animal Health Certificate every time you wish to re-enter the EU from the UK
  • 4 months for onward travel within Europe and return to the UK

Please note our requirements for completion of an Animal Health Certificate application here at the practice:

  • Please give us at least 1 weeks’ notice for any pet travel appointment i.e. call at least 1 week ahead of the day the appointment is required
  • Please ensure you have completed the form below at least 1 week ahead of your appointment with us (or at least 1 month ahead of your travel date if your dog is not up to date with their rabies vaccinations)

Requirements on returning to the UK

Please note, dogs must be treated for tapeworm not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours before time of entry back into Great Britain, except for return from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Finland or Malta. This treatment needs to be administered by a vet, and recorded on the Animal Health Certificate. *Please note* If you are returning to the UK within 120 hours of leaving, your pets need to have this tapeworm treatment BEFORE leaving the UK.

If you have any questions or require further information please contact the practice and we’ll be happy to help.

Advice regarding travel outside of the EU

Please book an initial consultation with Karmen to discuss what needs to be put in place prior to travel. In general, you will need an export certificate – ‘EHC’ – from DEFRA, as well as an import license or certificate from your country of destination. You may need several import licenses if you are having a stopover in a separate country on route. Please be aware that entry requirements for every country are different, and you’ll need to make sure you are compliant with all the relevant import/export requirements prior to leaving the UK, as it is sadly impossible for us to memorise them all on your behalf. We are of course very happy to point you in the right direction, and help you interpret any advice you are given. The link below to the government website is the best place to start.

Taking your pet dog, cat or ferret abroad: Overview – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

It can take many months to complete all the necessary steps for non-EU travel – e.g. vaccines and blood testing – so please make enquiries as soon as practical. It is also necessary to have proof of rabies antibody titre values for at least 6 months prior to return to the UK from some countries.

If you have any questions or require further information please contact the practice and we’ll be happy to help.